Prospective Families > Special Needs
Student Support Staff
John Paul II Catholic School focuses on providing equity through individual educational supports to meet the unique learning needs of all students. JPII participates In the Jon Peterson Special Needs Scholarship through the state of Ohio.
Auxiliary Services and the Jon Peterson Scholarship, funded by the State of Ohio, provides specialists for support and extension of learning concepts in flexible small groups. Enrollment in these programs is dependent upon student need, classroom teacher recommendation and for the learning disabled, specific qualifying criteria. Auxiliary services and student support staff include the following:
- Intervention Assistance Team to address special needs of students as expressed by parents, teacher, or as revealed through testing.
- Service plan/IEP to address short-term and long-term goals.
- Intervention specialists to work in all subject areas with students identified as having learning disabilities.
- Reading specialists to support the development of emergent readers’ skills as they move toward independent reading.
- Speech & language specialist to work with students with identified needs in speech and language.
- School counselor to care for the mental health needs of the students.
- Gifted intervention specialist to challenge and develop critical thinking skills of the gifted students through STEM activities.
- Nurse to provide routine care and to monitor student health as well as conduct screenings, provide CPR training, and manage state mandates.